It’s that time again when Matt and I prepare for our spring walk – this year a gentle 70 mile totter round the Inns of the Yorkshire Dales with B, if he permitted leave from designing a certain embassy to withstand explosive attacks.
Update: we did it.
The route is Mark Reid’s:
- Stage 1 – Grassington to Buckden
- Stage 2 – Buckden to Askrigg
- Stage 3 – Askrigg to Reeth
- Stage 4 – Reeth to West Burton
- Stage 5 – West Burton to Kettlewell
- Stage 6 – Kettlewell to Grassington
It’s that time when once I again I phone round the inns where we are staying each night, to break the news – which I usually get the impression is bad news – that I am vegan.
“Can you bring something with you?”
Faintly down the line, “Yeah, we’ll do her something.”
Please, more than a salad.
No, it’s not that I don’t like salad, it’s just that we’re walking a long way.
Why are they, while baulking at my request, telling me they cater for vegetarians, coeliacs and lactose intolerance?
Can I tell them I’ll relax about the small print of the ingredients of their bread without them thinking I’ll relax about cream in my risotto?
Fazed as these small business owners tend to be, I hardly have the heart to ask for nuts or pulses. I come back from these walks nutritionally depleted and missing London where, thanks to the enlightened, the health-conscious and the religious, I eat well.
The computer with my to-take list is at vets, so I’m writing it again.
- 30 litre pack
- Waterproof pack liner
- Map case
- OS Explorer maps
- Walking books
- Bivy bag and space blanket
- 2 water bottles
- Walking boots
- Flip flops
- Walking bra
- Evening bra
- Walking trousers
- Evening trousers
- Waterproof trousers
- Walking t-shirt
- Evening shirt
- Waterproof coat
- Baseball cap
- MP3 player, earphones
- Chargers: camera, phone, battery, USB charger adaptor
- Rechargeable AA batteries for GPS
- Wind-up torch/radio/charger
- Antiseptic cream
- First aid kit
- Second skin blister dressing
- Tea-tree oil
- Energy: sweets, seeds, nuts, dried fruit
- Vitamin supplements
- Biodegradable wash for everything
- Factor 50 sun cream
- Aloe vera gel
- Contact lenses and solution
- Glasses case
- Hair conditioner
- Travel towel
- A book (perhaps a Bronte? More likely Roth’s Plot Against America)
- Credit cards
- Cheque book
- Printed contact details and detail maps of where we have booked to stay (put these on the web)
- Receipts for deposits
- Clear plastic bags, plastic bags for dirty stuff